Table of Contents
Vrbo is a vacation rental company that offers a platform for people to list, discover, and book vacation homes, cabins, and other properties around the world.
It is a popular alternative to traditional hotel accommodations, as it allows travelers to enjoy the comforts of home while on vacation, often at a lower cost.
Vrbo is a part of the Expedia Group and operates in more than 190 countries. It is a leading vacation rental company, along with competitors such as Airbnb, HomeAway, and Flipkey.
What Are Vrbo Guest Reviews?
Vrbo guest reviews are ratings and comments that travelers leave after they have stayed at a vacation rental property listed on the Vrbo platform. These reviews can be a valuable resource for other travelers looking to book a vacation rental, as they provide first-hand experiences and insights about the property and the host.
Vrbo guest reviews typically include a rating on a 5-star scale, as well as a written review. Some reviews may also include photos or videos. The ratings and reviews are meant to help travelers make informed decisions about which properties to book.
Properties with a high number of positive guest reviews are generally considered to be more trustworthy and of higher quality. Conversely, properties with a low number of positive guest reviews or a high number of negative reviews may be less desirable.
It is important to note that guest reviews are subjective and may not reflect the same experience that other travelers have at the same property. It is always a good idea to read a variety of reviews and to take them into consideration when booking a vacation rental, but not to rely on them exclusively.
Are Vrbo Guest Reviews Important?
Vrbo guest reviews can be an important resource for travelers looking to book a vacation rental on the Vrbo platform. They provide first-hand experiences and insights about the property and the host, which can be valuable when trying to decide which property to book.
Positive guest reviews can be a sign that a property is well-maintained, clean, and comfortable, and that the host is helpful and responsive. Conversely, negative guest reviews may indicate that a property is not well-maintained, or that the host is unresponsive or unaccommodating.
However, it is important to keep in mind that guest reviews are subjective and may not reflect the same experience that other travelers have at the same property. It is always a good idea to read a variety of reviews and to take them into consideration when booking a vacation rental, but not to rely on them exclusively. It is also a good idea to communicate with the host directly to ask any questions or address any concerns you may have before booking.
Could increase bookings
It is possible that having positive guest reviews on your vacation rental property could increase bookings. Travelers often use guest reviews as a way to gauge the quality and trustworthiness of a property and its host, so a high number of positive reviews can be a good sign that a property is well-maintained, clean, and comfortable, and that the host is helpful and responsive. This can make travelers more likely to book your property.
Having a high number of positive guest reviews can also help your property stand out from other properties on the Vrbo platform. When travelers search for a vacation rental, they may be presented with a list of properties that match their search criteria. If your property has a high number of positive guest reviews, it may be more likely to catch the attention of travelers and be chosen over other properties.
However, it is important to keep in mind that having positive guest reviews is just one factor that can influence bookings. Other factors such as location, amenities, price, and availability can also impact whether travelers choose to book your property.
Promotes engagement with guests
Vrbo guest reviews can promote engagement with guests by providing an opportunity for travelers to share their experiences and feedback about your property and hosting style. This can help you to understand what your guests liked and didn’t like about their stay, and what you can do to improve the guest experience in the future.
By reading and responding to guest reviews, you can show your guests that you value their feedback and are committed to providing a high-quality vacation rental experience. This can help to build trust and foster a sense of community among your guests, which can in turn lead to more bookings and positive word-of-mouth referrals.
It is important to note that responding to guest reviews can also be an opportunity to address any issues or concerns that guests may have had during their stay. By addressing and resolving any issues in a timely and professional manner, you can demonstrate to your guests that you are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and are committed to their satisfaction. This can help to improve guest relationships and foster a positive reputation for your property.
Help other hosts and property managers
Vrbo guest reviews can help other hosts and property managers in several ways:
- By reading guest reviews from other properties, hosts and property managers can gain insights into what travelers are looking for in a vacation rental and what they value most in a host. This can help them to improve their own properties and hosting practices.
- Guest reviews can also provide inspiration for hosts and property managers looking for new ways to enhance the guest experience. By reading about the creative and thoughtful touches that other hosts have included in their properties, hosts and property managers can get ideas for how to make their own properties stand out.
- Finally, reading guest reviews from other properties can help hosts and property managers to identify common issues or challenges that may arise when managing a vacation rental. By learning from the experiences of other hosts, they can be better prepared to handle similar situations in their own properties.
Overall, reading guest reviews from other properties can be a valuable resource for hosts and property managers looking to improve their vacation rental business.
Defend your vacation rentals against negative reviews
It is natural to want to defend your vacation rental against negative reviews, as these can impact your property’s reputation and potentially harm bookings. Here are some steps you can take to address negative reviews and defend your property:
- Respond promptly: It is important to address negative reviews as soon as possible, as this shows that you are attentive and responsive to your guests’ concerns.
- Apologize: Even if you feel that the negative review is unwarranted, it is important to apologize for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction the guest experienced. This can help to show that you are committed to providing excellent customer service and are willing to take responsibility for any issues that may have arisen.
- Offer a solution: If the negative review relates to a specific issue or problem, try to offer a solution or compensation to the guest. This can help to show that you are willing to go above and beyond to make things right and to ensure that the guest has a positive experience.
- Be professional and courteous: It can be tempting to get defensive or to argue with the guest, but it is important to remain professional and courteous in your response. This can help to preserve your reputation and to prevent the situation from escalating.
- Use the opportunity to learn and improve: Negative reviews can be an opportunity to learn and improve your vacation rental business. Take the time to reflect on the feedback and consider what you can do to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.
By following these steps, you can effectively address negative reviews and defend your property against any negative impact they may have on your business.
What Is The Review Process? (How to Leave a Vrbo Guest Review)
To leave a Vrbo guest review, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Vrbo account. If you don’t have an account, you will need to create one by visiting the Vrbo website and following the prompts.
- Navigate to the “My Trips” section of your account. This is where you can view and manage all of your past bookings.
- Find the booking for the property you stayed at and click on the “Write a review” button.
- On the review page, you will be asked to rate the property on a 5-star scale and to provide a written review. You can also choose to include photos or videos with your review, if you wish.
- Once you have written your review, click the “Submit review” button to post it.
It is important to note that you can only leave a review for a property if you have stayed there as a guest. Reviews are not accepted from owners, property managers, or anyone else who has a vested interest in the property.
It is also worth noting that Vrbo has a review policy in place to ensure that all reviews are authentic and relevant. Vrbo may remove reviews that violate this policy or that are not in line with their guidelines.
How Much Time Do I Have To Leave a Review?
According to Vrbo’s review policy, guests have 14 days from the date of check-out to leave a review. If you are unable to leave a review within this time frame, you may still be able to do so by contacting Vrbo’s customer support team. They may be able to assist you in leaving a review or provide further guidance on the review process.
It is important to note that Vrbo’s review policy is in place to ensure that all reviews are authentic and relevant. Reviews that are left outside of the 14-day window may be subject to additional scrutiny to ensure their authenticity.
It is also worth noting that Vrbo may remove reviews that violate their review policy or that are not in line with their guidelines. This can include reviews that are not based on a genuine stay, reviews that contain inappropriate or offensive content, or reviews that are written by someone with a vested interest in the property.
Who Gets To See The Reviews?
Vrbo guest reviews are publicly visible to anyone who visits the Vrbo website or app. This means that anyone who is interested in booking a vacation rental on the Vrbo platform will be able to see the reviews left by previous guests.
Reviews are typically displayed on the property listing page, along with the rating and the number of reviews. Travelers can use the reviews to get a sense of what other guests thought of the property and to help them make an informed decision about whether to book.
It is worth noting that Vrbo has a review policy in place to ensure that all reviews are authentic and relevant. This includes measures to prevent fake or biased reviews from being displayed on the platform. Vrbo may remove reviews that violate this policy or that are not in line with their guidelines.
Finally, it is important to note that Vrbo guest reviews are not visible on other websites or platforms. They can only be seen on the Vrbo website or app.
Tips for Writing Vrbo Guest Reviews
Here are some tips for writing Vrbo guest reviews:
- Be honest and genuine: Write your review based on your honest and genuine experience at the property. This will help other travelers to get an accurate sense of what to expect when they book the property.
- Focus on the details: Share specific details about your stay, such as the condition of the property, the amenities that were available, and the location. This will help other travelers to get a more complete picture of the property.
- Be respectful: Remember that your review will be publicly visible, so it is important to be respectful and to avoid using inappropriate or offensive language.
- Keep it concise: Aim to keep your review concise and to the point. Other travelers will likely appreciate a review that is easy to read and that gets to the point quickly.
- Include both positive and negative aspects: If you had both positive and negative experiences at the property, try to balance your review by mentioning both. This will help other travelers to get a well-rounded view of the property.
By following these tips, you can write a helpful and informative Vrbo guest review that will be useful for other travelers.
Send a friendly reminder to the guest
As a host or property manager, it is a good idea to send a friendly reminder to your guests to encourage them to leave a review after their stay. This can help to ensure that you receive more reviews, which can be beneficial for your vacation rental business in several ways.
Here are some tips for sending a friendly reminder to your guests:
- Send the reminder shortly after the guests’ check-out: It is best to send the reminder while the guests’ stay is still fresh in their minds. This will make it more likely that they will take the time to write a review.
- Personalize the message: Make sure to address the guests by name and to thank them for their stay. This will make the message feel more personalized and less like a generic request.
- Keep it short and to the point: The guests are likely to have a lot going on, so it is important to keep the message short and to the point. Simply remind them that their feedback is valuable and encourage them to take a few minutes to leave a review.
- Include a link to the review page: Make it easy for the guests to leave a review by including a link to the review page. This will save them the time of searching for the page themselves.
By following these tips, you can send a friendly reminder to your guests that will encourage them to leave a review without being too pushy or overbearing.
Create consistent reviews
It is important for hosts and property managers to strive for consistent reviews from their guests, as this can help to build trust and establish a positive reputation for their vacation rental business. Here are some ways to create consistent reviews:
- Provide a high-quality experience: One of the most effective ways to create consistent reviews is to provide a high-quality vacation rental experience for your guests. This includes maintaining the property in good condition, offering amenities and features that meet the needs of your guests, and providing excellent customer service.
- Communicate clearly and effectively: Clear and effective communication can help to ensure that your guests have a smooth and enjoyable stay. Make sure to provide all necessary information to your guests in advance, and be available to answer any questions or address any concerns they may have.
- Be responsive: Respond promptly to inquiries and requests from your guests. This can help to build trust and show that you are dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
- Solve problems quickly: If any issues or problems arise during a guest’s stay, make every effort to solve them quickly and to the guest’s satisfaction. This can help to prevent negative reviews and to create a positive overall experience for your guests.
By following these tips, you can work to create consistent reviews and build a positive reputation for your vacation rental business.
Automate to save time
As a host or property manager, you may be looking for ways to save time and streamline your vacation rental business. One way to do this is by automating certain tasks, such as sending reminders to guests to leave reviews.
There are a few different ways you can automate this process:
- Use a vacation rental management software: Many vacation rental management software platforms offer features that allow you to automate certain tasks, such as sending reminders to guests to leave reviews. This can save you time and ensure that you don’t forget to send reminders.
- Use email marketing software: Email marketing software can allow you to create and automate email campaigns, including reminders to guests to leave reviews. This can be a convenient way to reach a large number of guests quickly and efficiently.
- Use a calendar app: Some calendar apps, such as Google Calendar, allow you to set up recurring events or tasks. You can use this feature to create a recurring reminder to send review reminders to your guests.
By automating certain tasks, you can save time and focus on other aspects of your vacation rental business. Just be sure to test and carefully review any automated messages before sending them to your guests to ensure that they are accurate and professional.
What To Consider While Reviewing Your Guests
As a host or property manager, you may want to review your guests’ Vrbo reviews to get a sense of what they thought of their stay and to identify any areas for improvement. Here are some things to consider while reviewing your guests’ Vrbo reviews:
- The overall tone of the review: Look for patterns in the tone of the reviews. Are most of the reviews positive, or are there a large number of negative reviews? If there are a high number of negative reviews, this may be a sign that there are issues with your property or hosting style that you need to address.
- Specific feedback: Pay attention to specific feedback that your guests provide. Are there common themes or issues that are mentioned in multiple reviews? This can help you to identify areas for improvement.
- Areas for improvement: Look for opportunities to improve your property or hosting style based on the feedback you receive. If a large number of guests mention the same issue, such as a lack of amenities or a lack of communication from the host, this may be an area that you can focus on improving.
- Positive feedback: Don’t forget to highlight and celebrate the positive feedback you receive from your guests. This can help to boost your confidence as a host and can serve as motivation to continue providing a high-quality vacation rental experience.
By considering these factors while reviewing your guests’ Vrbo reviews, you can identify areas for improvement and work to provide an even better vacation rental experience for your guests.
Vrbo guest reviews are an important resource for travelers looking to book a vacation rental on the Vrbo platform. These reviews provide first-hand experiences and insights about the property and the host, which can be valuable when deciding which property to book.
As a host or property manager, it is important to encourage your guests to leave reviews after their stay. This can help to build trust and establish a positive reputation for your vacation rental business. There are a variety of ways to do this, including sending friendly reminders, automating review reminders, and providing a high-quality vacation rental experience.
It is also important to review your guests’ Vrbo reviews to get a sense of what they thought of their stay and to identify any areas for improvement. By considering the overall tone of the reviews, specific feedback, and areas for improvement, you can work to create a consistently positive vacation rental experience for your guests.