VRBO stands for Vacation Rentals by Owner. It is an online vacation rental marketplace that allows property owners to list their vacation homes, apartments, condos, cabins, cottages, villas, and houses for rent directly to travelers. VRBO was founded in 1995 and acquired by HomeAway in 2006, which is now owned by Expedia Group. Travelers can search for and book vacation homes on the platform, communicating with property owners to arrange their stay. VRBO offers a wide variety of vacation homes in many popular vacation destinations around the world. It is one of the largest and most popular vacation rental platforms, offering a unique and authentic travel experience for travelers looking to stay in a home rather than a hotel.
Here are some reasons why VRBO may be the best option for your next family vacation:
- More space and privacy – VRBO properties are often larger than hotel rooms and offer more privacy, allowing your family to spend time together without feeling cramped or crowded.
- Home-like amenities – VRBO properties often have amenities that are similar to what you have at home, such as a full kitchen, laundry facilities, and outdoor space, which can help make your family vacation feel more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Better value for money – VRBO properties can be more cost-effective than hotels, especially for larger families or groups, as you can often rent a property that sleeps multiple people for a lower cost than multiple hotel rooms.
- Unique experiences – VRBO offers a wide range of vacation homes in various locations, allowing your family to experience something new and unique, whether it’s a cozy cabin in the mountains or a beachfront villa.
- Flexibility – With VRBO, you can often choose the length of your stay and have more flexibility with check-in and check-out times, allowing you to plan your vacation around your family’s schedule.
- Customer support – VRBO has a customer support team available to assist you with any questions or issues you may have before, during, or after your stay, providing peace of mind and support throughout your vacation.
How does VRBO work?
VRBO, which stands for Vacation Rentals by Owner, is an online platform that connects property owners with travelers looking to rent vacation homes. Here’s how it works:
- Create a Profile Property owners can create a profile on VRBO by providing details about their vacation home, including photos, availability, pricing, and rental policies. The platform also allows owners to communicate with potential guests and manage their rental listings.
- Search for a Vacation Rental Travelers can search for vacation rentals on VRBO by specifying their desired location, dates, and number of guests. The platform offers a variety of filters to help travelers find the perfect vacation rental, including property type, amenities, and price range.
- Contact the Property Owner Once a traveler has found a vacation rental they are interested in, they can contact the property owner to ask questions and arrange the booking. VRBO provides tools to help property owners and travelers communicate and manage the booking process.
- Book and Pay VRBO does not handle the payment for the rental, but it does provide tools to help property owners and travelers manage the payment process. Travelers typically pay the property owner directly, either through VRBO’s payment system or by other means.
- Enjoy Your Stay Once the booking is confirmed, travelers can enjoy their stay in their vacation rental. VRBO properties can accommodate a range of group sizes, from solo travelers to large families or groups of friends. Many properties are pet-friendly, allowing travelers to bring their furry friends along on their vacation.
Benefits of Using VRBO
For Property Owners:
- Extra Income: VRBO provides property owners with an opportunity to earn extra income by renting out their vacation homes when they are not using them. This can be especially beneficial for owners who do not use their property year-round or who have multiple properties that they rent out.
- Control: Property owners have control over the rental process, including setting their own rental rates, managing availability, and selecting guests. VRBO provides tools to help owners manage their listings and communicate with guests, but the ultimate decision-making power lies with the property owner.
- Exposure: VRBO offers exposure to millions of potential renters, increasing the chances of finding someone to rent the property. The platform allows property owners to showcase their property through photos, descriptions, and reviews, helping them attract renters who are interested in their property.
- Authentic Experience: Staying in a vacation rental can provide a more authentic travel experience than staying in a hotel, allowing travelers to live like a local and experience the destination on their own terms.
- More Space: Vacation rentals are often larger than hotel rooms, offering more space and privacy for travelers. This can be especially beneficial for families or groups of friends traveling together.
- Home-like Amenities: VRBO properties often have amenities that are similar to what travelers have at home, such as a full kitchen, laundry facilities, and outdoor space. This can help make the vacation rental feel more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Better Value for Money: Vacation rentals can be more cost-effective than hotels, especially for larger families or groups. Renting a property that sleeps multiple people can often be less expensive than booking multiple hotel rooms.
- Flexibility: VRBO allows travelers to choose the length of their stay and provides more flexibility with check-in and check-out times. This can be especially beneficial for travelers who have a busy schedule or who want to plan their vacation around their own preferences.
Fees Associated with VRBO
VRBO charges property owners a fee for listing their vacation home on the platform. The fee varies depending on the location, type of property, and length of stay, but it typically ranges from 5% to 15% of the rental amount. Travelers may also be charged a service fee by VRBO, which ranges
Types of vacation homes on VRBO
VRBO, which stands for Vacation Rentals by Owner, is an online platform that connects property owners with travelers looking to rent vacation homes. With over 2 million properties listed worldwide, VRBO offers a wide range of vacation home options to suit different preferences and budgets. Here are some of the types of vacation homes you can find on VRBO:
- Beach Houses Beach houses are a popular choice for travelers looking to spend time by the ocean. VRBO offers beach houses in destinations around the world, from the Caribbean to the Pacific Northwest. Many beach houses offer oceanfront views, private beaches, and outdoor spaces for dining and relaxing.
- Mountain Cabins For travelers who prefer a cozy mountain retreat, VRBO offers a variety of mountain cabins in locations such as the Rocky Mountains, the Appalachian Mountains, and the Alps. Many mountain cabins offer amenities such as hot tubs, fireplaces, and access to skiing and hiking trails.
- City Apartments City apartments are a great choice for travelers who want to explore urban destinations such as New York City, Paris, or Tokyo. VRBO offers apartments in a variety of sizes and styles, from studios to multi-bedroom penthouses. Many city apartments offer central locations, convenient access to public transportation, and amenities such as rooftop terraces or balconies.
- Country Homes For travelers who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, VRBO offers a variety of country homes in locations such as Tuscany, the English countryside, and the Australian outback. Many country homes offer expansive views, access to hiking or biking trails, and amenities such as swimming pools or outdoor kitchens.
- Luxury Villas For travelers who want to indulge in a luxurious vacation experience, VRBO offers a variety of villas in destinations such as Bali, the French Riviera, and the Caribbean. Many luxury villas offer private infinity pools, expansive outdoor living spaces, and amenities such as personal chefs and housekeeping staff.
- RVs and Campers For travelers who want to explore the great outdoors, VRBO offers a variety of RVs and campers in destinations such as national parks, scenic routes, and beachfront campsites. Many RVs and campers offer amenities such as full kitchens, outdoor showers, and comfortable sleeping arrangements.
- Houseboats For travelers who want to experience life on the water, VRBO offers a variety of houseboats in locations such as Amsterdam, Seattle, and the Florida Keys. Many houseboats offer amenities such as rooftop decks, kayaks or paddleboards, and easy access to local attractions.
- Treehouses For travelers who want a unique and adventurous vacation experience, VRBO offers a variety of treehouses in locations such as Costa Rica, Hawaii, and the Pacific Northwest. Many treehouses offer amenities such as outdoor showers, zip lines, and stunning views.
Benefits of using VRBO
VRBO, which stands for Vacation Rentals by Owner, is an online platform that connects property owners with travelers looking to rent vacation homes. Here are some of the benefits of using VRBO for your next vacation:
- Wide Range of Vacation Home Options VRBO offers a wide range of vacation home options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you’re looking for a beach house, mountain cabin, city apartment, country home, luxury villa, RV or camper, houseboat, or treehouse, VRBO has a property for you.
- Competitive Pricing VRBO offers competitive pricing for vacation rentals, often at a lower cost than traditional hotel accommodations. By renting a vacation home, you can often save money on dining out, as many properties come equipped with kitchens or outdoor grills.
- Unique Vacation Experiences VRBO offers unique vacation experiences that you may not be able to find through traditional hotel accommodations. Whether you want to stay in a treehouse, a houseboat, or an RV, VRBO has a property that can offer you a one-of-a-kind vacation experience.
- Flexibility and Privacy Renting a vacation home through VRBO offers more flexibility and privacy than traditional hotel accommodations. With a vacation home, you have the flexibility to come and go as you please and enjoy more space and privacy than a hotel room.
- Home-Like Amenities VRBO vacation homes often come equipped with home-like amenities such as full kitchens, outdoor grills, laundry facilities, and private swimming pools. By renting a vacation home, you can enjoy the comforts of home while on vacation.
- Local Experiences Staying in a vacation home through VRBO allows you to experience your destination like a local. You can explore the surrounding neighborhoods and attractions, shop at local markets, and enjoy local cuisine.
- Personalized Service VRBO offers personalized service from property owners who are invested in making your vacation a memorable one. Property owners often provide local recommendations for dining and activities, and are available to answer any questions you may have during your stay.
VRBO customer service
Customer service is an essential aspect of any business, and VRBO is no exception. Here’s what you need to know about VRBO’s customer service:
- Customer Support VRBO provides customer support through a variety of channels, including email, phone, and live chat. You can also find answers to frequently asked questions on the VRBO website, which can be a quick and convenient way to resolve common issues.
- Reservation Protection VRBO offers a Reservation Protection program, which provides protection against fraud, misrepresentation, and double bookings. This program can give travelers peace of mind when booking their vacation rental.
- Property Verification VRBO has a team dedicated to verifying the properties listed on their platform. This team ensures that each property meets VRBO’s standards for safety, cleanliness, and overall quality. By verifying the properties listed on their platform, VRBO can help ensure that travelers have a positive experience.
- Owner and Guest Reviews VRBO encourages both property owners and guests to leave reviews of their experiences. These reviews can help other travelers make informed decisions when booking a vacation rental. Additionally, VRBO uses reviews to help identify properties that may not meet their standards, which can help improve the overall quality of the properties listed on their platform.
- Payment Protection VRBO offers payment protection for travelers, which ensures that your payment is protected against fraud and unauthorized transactions. This protection can give travelers peace of mind when booking their vacation rental.
- Mobile App VRBO’s mobile app allows travelers to manage their reservations, communicate with property owners, and access important information about their vacation rental. This app can be a convenient way to stay connected while on the go.
- What is VRBO? VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) is an online platform that connects travelers with property owners who rent out their vacation homes.
- How do I book a vacation rental on VRBO? To book a vacation rental on VRBO, simply search for your desired destination, select your travel dates and number of guests, and browse available vacation rentals. Once you find a property you’re interested in, you can submit a booking request and communicate directly with the property owner to finalize the details of your stay.
- What types of vacation rentals are available on VRBO? VRBO offers a wide range of vacation rentals, including beach houses, mountain cabins, city apartments, country homes, luxury villas, RVs, and more.
- Is it safe to book a vacation rental on VRBO? VRBO takes measures to ensure the safety and security of its users, including verifying properties, providing payment protection, and offering reservation protection against fraud and double bookings.
- What is the cancellation policy for VRBO vacation rentals? The cancellation policy for VRBO vacation rentals varies by property and can be found on the property listing. VRBO offers a variety of cancellation options for property owners to choose from, including flexible, moderate, and strict cancellation policies.
- Can I communicate directly with the property owner before booking? Yes, you can communicate directly with the property owner through the VRBO platform before booking. This allows you to ask any questions you may have about the property and ensure that it meets your needs before making a booking.
- How do I pay for my VRBO vacation rental? VRBO accepts a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, PayPal, and eChecks. Payment details can be arranged between you and the property owner.
- What should I do if I have a problem with my VRBO vacation rental? If you have a problem with your VRBO vacation rental, you should contact the property owner or VRBO’s customer support team for assistance.
- Is there a VRBO mobile app? Yes, VRBO has a mobile app that allows travelers to manage their reservations, communicate with property owners, and access important information about their vacation rental.
- How do I leave a review for my VRBO vacation rental? After your stay, you will receive an email from VRBO inviting you to leave a review of your experience. You can also leave a review by logging into your VRBO account and navigating to the property listing.
In conclusion, VRBO is a popular platform for finding and booking vacation rentals around the world. With a wide range of properties available, including beach houses, mountain cabins, city apartments, luxury villas, and more, VRBO offers something for every type of traveler. The platform’s customer service features, such as reservation protection, property verification, owner and guest reviews, payment protection, and mobile app, help ensure that travelers have a positive experience when booking a vacation rental. Whether you’re planning a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or a group trip with friends, VRBO is a great resource for finding the perfect vacation rental for your needs.