What is Vrbo?
Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) is an online vacation rental marketplace that connects travelers with vacation rental properties around the world. The platform was founded in 1995 and was acquired by HomeAway in 2006, which was later acquired by Expedia Group in 2015.
Vrbo offers a wide range of vacation rental options, including beach houses, cabins, condos, villas, and more, with over 2 million properties listed on the platform. Property owners can list their properties on Vrbo for short-term rental, and travelers can search for and book properties based on location, travel dates, number of guests, and amenities.
Vrbo offers secure payment processing, booking protection, and 24/7 customer support to ensure a safe and easy booking experience for both property owners and travelers. Vrbo also provides travel guides and tips, as well as personalized recommendations to help travelers plan their vacations.
What types of accommodation does Vrbo offer?
Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) offers a wide variety of accommodation types for travelers to choose from. Here are some examples:
- Houses: Vrbo has a large selection of houses available for rent, ranging from cozy cottages to sprawling estates.
- Condos and apartments: Travelers can choose from a wide range of condos and apartments in various locations and sizes.
- Cabins and cottages: Vrbo offers a large selection of cabins and cottages in scenic locations, such as near the mountains, forests, or lakes.
- Villas: Vrbo has a selection of luxurious villas available for rent, some of which offer amenities such as private pools, hot tubs, and ocean views.
- Farmhouses and barns: Vrbo offers a unique selection of farmhouses and barns for those looking for a rustic getaway.
- Boats and houseboats: For a unique experience, Vrbo offers a selection of boats and houseboats available for rent in various locations.
- Treehouses and yurts: For a more unconventional accommodation option, Vrbo also has a selection of treehouses and yurts available for rent.
Vrbo offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit the needs and preferences of various travelers.
How much does Vrbo charge?
Vrbo charges fees to both property owners and travelers. For property owners, Vrbo charges an annual subscription fee to list their properties on the platform. The subscription fee varies based on the number of properties listed and the subscription tier selected, with fees ranging from $499 to $1,499 per year.
For travelers, Vrbo charges a service fee that is calculated based on the total cost of the rental, including the rental rate and any additional fees charged by the property owner. The service fee ranges from 5% to 15% of the total cost of the rental, depending on the rental cost and the length of stay.
In addition to these fees, Vrbo also offers additional services to both property owners and travelers, such as optional insurance coverage and enhanced listings, which may have additional fees associated with them.
How does Vrbo work?
Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) works by connecting property owners with travelers looking to rent vacation properties. Here is an overview of how Vrbo works:
- Property owners list their properties: Property owners can create a listing for their vacation property on Vrbo, including photos, descriptions, availability calendars, and pricing.
- Travelers search and book properties: Travelers can search for properties on Vrbo based on location, travel dates, number of guests, and amenities. They can view property photos, read descriptions and reviews, and submit booking requests.
- Property owners review booking requests: Property owners can review booking requests and communicate with travelers through Vrbo’s messaging system. They can accept or decline booking requests, and may require a deposit or payment in full to secure the booking.
- Travelers pay and confirm booking: Once a booking request is accepted, travelers can submit payment through Vrbo’s secure payment system. They will receive a confirmation of the booking and instructions for checking in to the property.
- Travelers stay at the property: Travelers will check in to the property and enjoy their vacation stay. During the stay, property owners may be available to address any issues or answer questions.
- Payment and reviews: After the stay is completed, Vrbo releases payment to the property owner, minus any applicable fees. Both property owners and travelers can leave reviews of their experience on Vrbo, which helps future renters make informed decisions.
Vrbo provides a convenient and secure platform for property owners and travelers to connect and arrange vacation rentals.
Benefits of using Vrbo
There are several benefits to using Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) for vacation rentals:
- Wide range of properties: Vrbo has a vast selection of vacation rental properties available in various locations around the world, including houses, condos, cabins, and more.
- Personalized experience: Each vacation rental property is unique, and travelers can choose a rental that best suits their preferences and needs.
- Cost savings: Vacation rentals can often be more affordable than staying in a hotel, especially for larger groups or longer stays.
- Amenities: Many vacation rentals on Vrbo come equipped with amenities such as kitchens, laundry facilities, and outdoor spaces, providing travelers with more flexibility and comfort during their stay.
- Privacy: Vacation rentals offer more privacy than hotels, allowing travelers to enjoy their vacation without disturbances.
- Secure payment system: Vrbo offers a secure payment system that protects both property owners and travelers from fraud or scams.
- Customer support: Vrbo provides 24/7 customer support to assist with any issues or questions that may arise during the booking process or stay.
Vrbo offers a convenient and personalized vacation rental experience for travelers, with a wide range of properties to choose from and a secure platform for booking and payment.
Vrbo Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Vrbo has received a mix of positive and negative reviews from customers. Here are some common themes that emerge from customer reviews:
- Customers appreciate the large selection of vacation rental properties available on Vrbo, with options for various locations, property types, and amenities.
- The booking process on Vrbo is straightforward and secure, with many customers reporting a positive experience with Vrbo’s customer support.
- Many customers appreciate the cost savings of vacation rentals compared to traditional hotels, as well as the added privacy and comfort of a rental property.
- Some customers have experienced issues with the accuracy of property listings, with properties not meeting their expectations or being misrepresented in photos or descriptions.
- There have been reports of fraudulent or scam listings on Vrbo, which has caused some customers to be cautious when booking.
- Some customers have reported issues with Vrbo’s customer support, particularly in resolving issues or disputes with property owners.
Customer reviews of Vrbo are mixed, with some customers having positive experiences and others having negative experiences. It’s important to consider both positive and negative reviews when deciding whether or not to use Vrbo, and to carefully read the terms and conditions of the service to ensure it’s the right fit for your needs.
Is Vrbo worth it?
Whether or not Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) is worth it depends on your individual travel needs and preferences. Here are some factors to consider:
- Cost: Vacation rentals on Vrbo can often be more affordable than traditional hotels, especially for larger groups or longer stays. Consider the cost of the rental, as well as any additional fees such as service fees and cleaning fees, when deciding if Vrbo is worth it for your budget.
- Location: Vrbo offers vacation rental properties in various locations around the world. Consider the location and accessibility of the property, as well as any additional costs such as transportation and parking, when deciding if Vrbo is worth it for your travel plans.
- Amenities: Vacation rentals on Vrbo often come equipped with amenities such as kitchens, laundry facilities, and outdoor spaces. Consider the amenities offered by the rental property, and how they fit with your travel needs and preferences.
- Personalization: Each vacation rental property on Vrbo is unique, offering a more personalized and customizable travel experience. Consider how important personalized experiences are to your travel plans and whether the extra effort of finding and booking a vacation rental is worth it for you.
Vrbo can be worth it for travelers looking for a personalized and cost-effective vacation rental experience. However, it’s important to carefully consider the cost, location, amenities, and personalization of each rental property to ensure it’s the right fit for your travel needs and preferences.
Vrbo Promotions & Discounts
Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) offers various promotions and discounts throughout the year. Here are some examples:
- Last-minute deals: Vrbo offers last-minute deals on vacation rental properties, with discounts of up to 50% off the rental rate. These deals are typically for properties that have not been booked within two weeks of the rental period.
- Seasonal sales: Vrbo offers seasonal sales and promotions throughout the year, such as discounted rates during off-peak travel seasons or holiday sales.
- Referral bonuses: Vrbo offers referral bonuses for both property owners and travelers. Property owners can earn up to $5,000 in rental credits by referring new property owners to Vrbo, while travelers can earn up to $50 in travel credits by referring friends to Vrbo.
- Email sign-up: By signing up for Vrbo’s email list, customers can receive exclusive offers and promotions, as well as updates on new properties and destinations.
- Credit card promotions: Vrbo sometimes partners with credit card companies to offer special promotions and discounts to cardholders.
It’s important to check Vrbo’s website and social media channels for the most up-to-date promotions and discounts. Additionally, Vrbo may offer special discounts or negotiate rates for longer stays or repeat customers, so it’s worth reaching out to the property owner or Vrbo’s customer support team to inquire about any available discounts.
Where To Buy Vrbo
Vrbo (Vacation Rentals by Owner) is an online vacation rental marketplace that can be accessed through their website, www.vrbo.com. Property owners can list their properties for rent on the Vrbo platform, and travelers can search for and book vacation rentals directly through the website.
Vrbo does not have any physical stores or locations for buying or renting vacation properties. However, travelers can use the Vrbo website or mobile app to search for and book vacation rental properties in various locations around the world.
What does Vrbo stand for?
Vrbo stands for Vacation Rentals by Owner.
Is Vrbo safe?
Vrbo has security measures in place to protect against fraud and scams, and the platform uses a secure payment system to protect both property owners and travelers. However, as with any online transaction, it’s important to be cautious and carefully review property listings and reviews before booking.
How do I contact Vrbo customer support?
Vrbo provides 24/7 customer support through their website and mobile app. Customers can reach out to Vrbo’s customer support team through the online chat function or by calling the customer support hotline.
Can I cancel a booking on Vrbo?
Cancellation policies vary by property, and travelers should carefully review the cancellation policy before booking. In general, Vrbo offers a range of cancellation policies, from flexible to strict, depending on the property owner’s preference.
Can I bring my pet to a Vrbo rental?
Pet policies vary by property, and travelers should carefully review the property listing and pet policy before booking. Some properties may allow pets with an additional fee, while others may not allow pets at all.
How does payment work on Vrbo?
Travelers submit payment through Vrbo’s secure payment system, which allows for payment by credit card, PayPal, or other online payment methods. Property owners receive payment after the stay is completed, minus any applicable fees.
How do I review a property on Vrbo?
After completing a stay at a Vrbo property, travelers can leave a review of their experience through their Vrbo account. Property owners can also leave a review of their experience with the traveler. Reviews are important for future renters and help maintain the integrity of the Vrbo platform.