Hertz, also known as The Hertz Corporation, is a car rental company that operates globally. It was founded in 1918 by Walter L. Jacobs in Chicago, Illinois. Over the years, Hertz has grown to become one of the largest and most recognizable car rental companies in the world.
Hertz offers a wide range of vehicles for rent, including economy cars, luxury vehicles, SUVs, and vans. They provide rental services to both leisure and business customers, operating at airports and various locations in cities and towns worldwide. In addition to car rentals, Hertz also offers services like Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which is a loyalty program for frequent renters, and Hertz 24/7, which allows customers to rent vehicles by the hour.
In recent years, Hertz has faced financial challenges. In May 2020, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the travel industry. As part of the restructuring process, Hertz made changes to its management and operations to reduce debt and improve its financial position.
It’s worth noting that my knowledge is based on information available up until September 2021, and there may have been further developments or changes regarding Hertz since then.
Hertz Rental Car Cost
The cost of renting a car from Hertz can vary depending on several factors, including the location, rental duration, type of vehicle, and any additional services or options you choose. Rental rates are typically determined by a daily or weekly rate, and there may be discounts available for longer-term rentals.
To get an accurate estimate of the cost, it’s best to visit Hertz’s official website or contact their customer service directly. By providing specific details such as your location, rental dates, and vehicle preferences, they can provide you with the most up-to-date pricing information for your specific needs.
Keep in mind that rental costs may also include additional charges such as taxes, fees, insurance, fuel, and optional extras like GPS navigation systems or car seats. It’s important to review the terms and conditions of your rental agreement and ask about any potential additional costs when making a reservation with Hertz or any other car rental company.
Hertz often offers various deals, discounts, and promotions to make car rentals more affordable for customers. These deals can vary based on factors such as location, rental duration, and the time of year. Here are a few common types of deals you may come across with Hertz:
- Weekend Specials: Hertz frequently offers discounted rates and special offers for weekend rentals, which typically start on Friday and end on Monday. These deals can include lower rates or free additional rental days.
- Seasonal Promotions: Hertz often runs seasonal promotions during holidays or peak travel seasons. These promotions may include discounted rates, special offers for specific destinations, or bonus rewards for loyalty program members.
- Partner Discounts: Hertz has partnerships with various organizations and companies, such as airlines, hotels, and credit card companies. These partnerships often provide exclusive discounts and benefits for their members or customers. For example, certain credit cards may offer discounts or rewards points for Hertz rentals.
- Membership Programs: Hertz has its own loyalty program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. Members can earn points for their rentals and enjoy benefits such as faster checkout, free rental days, and exclusive discounts.
To find the most current and relevant deals, it’s recommended to visit Hertz’s official website or check their promotional emails if you are subscribed to their mailing list. You can contact Hertz’s customer service for any ongoing promotions or discounts specific to your rental needs.
When renting a car from Hertz or any other car rental company, there are additional costs that you should consider. These costs can vary depending on the location, rental duration, and the specific terms and conditions of your rental agreement. Here are some common additional costs associated with renting a car:
- Taxes and Fees: Various taxes and fees may be added to your rental cost. These can include state or local taxes, airport fees, vehicle licensing fees, and surcharges. The amount and types of taxes and fees can vary depending on the rental location.
- Insurance: Car rental companies typically offer insurance options to protect you and the vehicle during the rental period. Basic insurance coverage is often included in the rental cost, but additional coverage options such as collision damage waiver (CDW) or supplemental liability protection (SLP) may come with extra fees.
- Fuel: You are responsible for the fuel used during the rental period. Hertz generally requires the vehicle to be returned with the same amount of fuel it had at the start of the rental. If you return the vehicle with less fuel, Hertz may charge you for refueling at a higher rate.
- Additional Drivers: If you plan to have multiple drivers for the rental car, there may be an additional fee for each additional driver listed on the rental agreement.
- Optional Extras: Hertz offers optional extras such as GPS navigation systems, child safety seats, and additional equipment. These extras usually come with additional charges.
It’s important to carefully review the terms and conditions of your rental agreement and ask Hertz for a breakdown of any potential additional costs when making a reservation. This way, you can have a clear understanding of the total cost and any fees or charges associated with your rental.
Taxes and Fees:
Taxes and fees associated with car rentals can vary depending on the location and specific rental terms. Here are some common taxes and fees that you may encounter when renting a car from Hertz:
- Sales Tax: This is a mandatory tax imposed by state or local governments on the rental cost of the vehicle. The sales tax rate can vary depending on the rental location.
- Airport Concession Fee: If you rent a car from an airport location, there may be an additional fee called the airport concession fee or airport access fee. This fee is imposed by the airport authorities and is intended to cover the cost of operating rental car facilities at the airport.
- Vehicle Licensing Fee: Some locations may charge a vehicle licensing fee, which is a fee to cover the cost of registering the rental vehicle and obtaining license plates.
- Facility Fee: In certain areas, there may be a facility fee or surcharge imposed by the rental car company or local authorities. This fee helps cover the costs associated with maintaining rental car facilities and infrastructure.
- Environmental Fee: Some locations may charge an environmental fee, which is intended to support environmental initiatives or cover the cost of environmentally friendly practices within the rental car industry.
It’s important to note that the specific taxes and fees can vary depending on the rental location and local regulations. When making a reservation with Hertz or any other car rental company, they will provide you with a breakdown of the taxes and fees applicable to your rental. It’s always a good idea to review the rental agreement and ask for clarification on any charges you are unsure about before finalizing your reservation.
Hertz Rental Car Services
Hertz offers a variety of rental car services to cater to different customer needs. Here are some of the key services provided by Hertz:
- Car Rentals: Hertz provides car rental services to individuals and businesses. They offer a wide selection of vehicles, including economy cars, luxury vehicles, SUVs, vans, and trucks. Rentals can be booked for various durations, from a few hours to several weeks or longer.
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards: Hertz has a loyalty program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. Members can earn points for their rentals, which can be redeemed for free rental days, upgrades, and other rewards. Gold Plus Rewards members also enjoy benefits such as expedited service, access to exclusive promotions, and the ability to skip the rental counter at certain locations.
- Hertz 24/7: Hertz 24/7 is a service that allows customers to rent vehicles on an hourly basis. It offers flexibility for shorter trips, allowing customers to pick up and return vehicles at their convenience, even outside of regular business hours. Hertz 24/7 is available at select locations and often requires advance reservation or membership.
- One-Way Rentals: Hertz offers one-way rental options, allowing customers to pick up a car at one location and return it to another. This service is useful for those who need to travel between different cities or airports without returning to their original location.
- Additional Services: Hertz provides various additional services to enhance the rental experience. These services include options like Hertz NeverLost GPS navigation systems, child safety seats, fuel purchase options, roadside assistance, and insurance coverage options. Some of these services may involve additional charges.
It’s important to note that the availability of specific services may vary by location. To get the most accurate and detailed information about the services offered by Hertz at a particular location, it’s best to visit their official website or contact their customer service directly.
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Program
The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is Hertz’s loyalty program designed to reward frequent renters and provide additional benefits and perks. Here are some key features and benefits of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program:
- Points Earning: Gold Plus Rewards members can earn points for every qualifying rental they make with Hertz. The number of points earned is based on the rental cost and membership level. Points can be earned on both car rentals and optional services, such as fuel purchases and Hertz NeverLost GPS rentals.
- Membership Tiers: The Gold Plus Rewards program has several membership tiers: Gold, Five Star, and President’s Circle. The membership tier is determined by the number of rentals or points accumulated within a calendar year. Higher tiers offer enhanced benefits and rewards.
- Faster Booking and Rental Process: Gold Plus Rewards members enjoy expedited service at select locations, allowing them to skip the rental counter and proceed directly to their assigned car. Members can also use Hertz’s online booking system, which saves their rental preferences and personal details, making the reservation process quicker and more convenient.
- Reward Redemption: Points earned through the program can be redeemed for free rental days, upgrades, or various other rewards. The redemption process can be done online through the member’s account.
- Exclusive Offers and Promotions: Gold Plus Rewards members have access to exclusive offers, promotions, and discounts. These offers can include discounted rates, bonus point promotions, and partner offers. Members are notified of these special deals through email newsletters or their online account.
- Transferable Points: Gold Plus Rewards points can be shared or transferred to a spouse or domestic partner. This allows members to pool their points together for greater redemption flexibility.
Becoming a member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is free. You can enroll online through the Hertz website or by signing up at a Hertz location. It’s important to review the program’s terms and conditions for a complete understanding of how the program works and the benefits it offers.
Rental Car Add-Ons
When renting a car, Hertz offers various add-ons and optional extras to enhance your rental experience. These add-ons can be selected at the time of booking or added later, depending on availability. Here are some common rental car add-ons provided by Hertz:
- GPS Navigation System: Hertz offers portable GPS navigation systems that provide turn-by-turn directions, points of interest, and other features to help you navigate during your rental. This can be especially useful if you are in an unfamiliar area or planning a road trip.
- Child Safety Seats: Hertz provides child safety seats for infants and children of different age ranges and sizes. You can choose from options such as infant seats, toddler seats, and booster seats to ensure the safety and comfort of your young passengers.
- Fuel Purchase Option: Hertz offers a fuel purchase option where you can prepay for a full tank of fuel at a set price. This allows you to return the vehicle with any fuel level, without the need to refill the tank before returning the car. It provides convenience and can be cost-effective if you anticipate not having time to refuel before drop-off.
- Additional Drivers: If you plan to have multiple drivers for your rental car, you can add additional drivers to the rental agreement. There may be an additional fee associated with adding extra drivers.
- Protection Plans: Hertz provides various protection plans to help cover potential damages or losses during the rental period. These plans may include options like Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), which can reduce your financial responsibility in case of an accident, and Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP), which provides additional liability coverage.
It’s important to note that these add-ons typically involve additional charges, and availability may vary by location. It’s recommended to inquire about the availability and cost of add-ons at the time of booking or contact Hertz’s customer service for specific details regarding the add-ons you are interested in.
Hertz Car Rental
Hertz is a global car rental company that offers rental services to both leisure and business customers. When renting a car from Hertz, here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Booking: You can book a rental car from Hertz through their official website, mobile app, or by contacting their customer service. During the booking process, you will need to provide information such as the rental location, dates, and times, as well as your driver’s license and payment details.
- Vehicle Selection: Hertz offers a wide range of vehicles to choose from, including economy cars, compact cars, SUVs, luxury vehicles, vans, and trucks. The availability of specific vehicles may vary depending on the location and the time of your rental.
- Rental Duration: Hertz offers flexible rental durations, allowing you to rent a car for as little as a few hours or for longer periods such as days, weeks, or months. You can select the pickup and return dates and times based on your specific needs.
- Pickup and Return: Hertz has rental locations at airports, cities, and towns worldwide. When picking up your rental car, you will need to present a valid driver’s license and the credit card used for the reservation. It’s important to arrive on time for your scheduled pickup and return the car at the agreed-upon time to avoid any late fees.
- Rental Terms and Conditions: It’s crucial to review the rental terms and conditions provided by Hertz before confirming your reservation. This includes details such as rental rates, mileage allowances, fuel policy, insurance coverage, and any applicable fees or restrictions.
- Additional Services and Coverage: Hertz offers additional services such as GPS navigation systems, child safety seats, fuel purchase options, roadside assistance, and insurance coverage. These services may involve extra charges, and it’s advisable to inquire about them at the time of booking or when picking up the rental car.
Remember that specific policies and procedures may vary by location and are subject to change, so it’s always best to check the most up-to-date information on Hertz’s official website or by contacting their customer service directly.
Bottom Line on Hertz
Hertz is a well-known car rental company with a global presence. They offer a wide selection of vehicles, flexible rental durations, and various additional services and coverage options to enhance the rental experience. Hertz’s loyalty program, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, provides benefits and rewards for frequent renters.
However, it’s important to note that Hertz faced financial challenges in 2020, filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. While they have undergone restructuring efforts, it’s advisable to stay informed about their current financial status and any updates regarding their operations.
As with any car rental company, it’s essential to review the terms and conditions of your rental agreement, including pricing, insurance coverage, taxes, and fees. It’s also recommended to compare prices and services with other rental companies to ensure you are getting the best value for your needs.
For the most accurate and up-to-date information about Hertz’s offerings, it’s advisable to visit their official website, contact their customer service directly, or consult with a travel professional.
How old do you have to be to rent a car from Hertz?
The minimum age to rent a car from Hertz is typically 25 years old. However, in certain locations, drivers between the ages of 20 and 24 may be able to rent a car with an additional young renter fee and other restrictions.
What documents do I need to rent a car from Hertz?
You will need a valid driver’s license, a major credit card in your name, and, in some cases, proof of insurance. International customers may also need a valid passport and an international driver’s license.
Can I rent a car from Hertz with a debit card?
Yes, Hertz generally accepts debit cards for payment at the time of rental. However, additional requirements and restrictions may apply, so it’s best to check with Hertz’s specific policies and location guidelines.
What is Hertz’s cancellation policy?
Hertz’s cancellation policy may vary depending on the rental location and reservation details. It’s advisable to review the specific terms and conditions provided at the time of booking or contact Hertz’s customer service for cancellation policies and any applicable fees.
Can I return the rental car to a different location?
Yes, Hertz offers one-way rentals, allowing you to return the car to a different Hertz location. However, additional fees may apply, and availability may vary depending on the rental location and specific terms.
Does Hertz provide insurance coverage for the rental car?
Hertz provides basic insurance coverage as required by law in most locations. However, it’s recommended to review the details of the coverage and consider additional insurance options, such as collision damage waiver (CDW) or supplemental liability protection (SLP), to ensure adequate protection during your rental.
How can I contact Hertz customer service?
Hertz’s customer service can be reached through their website or by phone. The specific contact information for your region or country can be found on the Hertz website or your rental confirmation.
Please note that these answers are general and may vary based on the specific policies and terms of Hertz in your region or location. It’s always best to consult Hertz’s official website or contact their customer service for the most accurate and up-to-date information.